Tuesday, August 14, 2012

In Relentless Pursuit

     If you are around this outfit for any amount of time this year you will probably hear the phrase "In Relentless Pursuit."  I thought I would explain a little of the background behind this saying and motto.
     Last year shortly after I learned I would be commander, I read this story on Mike Powell in Sport Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1194725/1/index.htm).  I remember thinking after reading that article, "If only I could bring that mindset to my outfit."  So I printed out several copies of the article, using all my ink in the process, and distributed them around the outfit.  I also sent the link out to cadets that would be stepping into leadership roles this year.  The mindset change had to be initiated at the top if it was to gain any traction.  The three words "In Relentless Pursuit" kept looping over and over in my mind over the course of the next few days.  I remember thinking, "If the outfit stayed in a mindset of relentless pursuit all the time and applied it to everything we do, we would be pretty unstoppable."
       The other thing that helped to inspire this attitude of Relentless Pursuit is 1st Corinthians 9:24 - "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize?  Run in such a way that you may win."  To me this Bible verse is an encouragement not to grow complacent, to not settle for anything other than all you have to give.  If you have an attitude of Relentless Pursuit you are not going to settle for something less than your best. 
     Parents of upperclassmen cadets, you heard me talk about this last year.  I just wanted to reassure you that nothing has changed; we will still be putting everything we have into everything we do.
     New fish parents, I hope you like the motto, because you will hear me say it a lot this year.  I hope that your child takes it to heart, because when it comes down to it - there is more at stake here than the Corps.  I am trying to set your child up for life.  This whole thing is bigger than the Corps. I understand that it doesn't always seem like that and that your kid will tell you otherwise, but we (the upperclassmen) really do care about the future of your child.  And not just the future as in the next year.  We are trying to develop young men and women who will be successful in life, not just the Corps.
     My challenge to you today, August 14, is to find something in your life to Relentlessly Pursue... because tomorrow August 15 at 2:30 the Wolf-Pack will begin our Pursuit.  

Garrett


   


1 comment:

  1. Garrett,
    Great sentiment. We had a sermon series some time ago titled "Run the Good Race" around the same verse. Looking forward to your blogs this year.

    ReplyDelete