Monday, August 27, 2012

First day of class

     Today is the day everyone has been waiting for... or maybe dreading.  At this time most of the freshmen have attended or are on the way to their first class.  It is definitely an eye opening experience.  I remember my first class as I sat down with more people than went to my entire high school.  In the span of about 4 classes I had been in the same room with more people than my town's population.  I know I'm from a very small town, but I don't think anybody is ready for a history class with 350+. 
     
     Just so you know, FOW is over, meaning that we will only be doing Corps activities from about 5:30 until 8:30ish am.  After that the rest of the day, barring evening formation, is personal/academic time.  I would be willing to bet that most of the stress in the next week will be from class and not the Corps.  

     As soon as we know for sure times for the Florida game on Sept 8th I will give everyone the BBQ times.  These BBQ's are not required by any means, but I would encourage you to attend a few.  The guys that cook for us do a great job.  Remember the goal is not to make a huge profit, so the prices will fluctuate between 6-10 dollars per person depending on what we are serving.  The first game prices will be on the low end of the scale, so please if you are in town join us for the BBQ.  Also keep in mind that College Station was not designed for game day traffic, so eating with the outfit saves a lot of time and traffic stress.  Not to mention every restaurant being extremely crowded.  I know I'm biased, but I think that outfit BBQs are the best option for food on gameday weekends.   

       I have informed the fish that although they made it through FOW, they have not made it yet.  They will have made it when they march 2nd pass of final review.  I gave them my word that I will be their commander until the very end, and in turn have their word that they will be fish until 2nd pass.  The moment we think we have made it, we tend to get complacent.  And I hate complacency!  That is why the outfit will be in Relentless Pursuit as long as I am in charge.  I refuse to let my people be ok with just settling.  We are striving for excellence. 

     We have a goal of running 100 miles as an outfit this semester.  We haven't been able to go on an outfit run yet... but that changes on Wednesday.  We will be running somewhere between 2.5-3 miles.  This is something that the outfit is really excited about, and something the freshmen will learn to be excited about.  I ended outfit meeting last night with this quote.  "Better get your running shoes tied tight, cause we're hitting it on Wednesday." - Garrett Williams

In Relentless Pursuit 
Garrett
 

1 comment:

  1. Whatever you are doing, keep it up, Garrett. Everytime fish Tedesco calls home, his attitude is better and better. I know your commitment to high standards, both academic and discipline, are having a positive effect.

    ReplyDelete