Monday, January 14, 2013

First Play of the 2nd Half

Howdy Everyone,

I hope that everyone had a marvelous break.  I know I did getting to spend most of it with Leigh in either Texas or Auburn.  It was awesome getting to relax after such a full semester.  As nice as the break was, it is always good to get back in the swing of things here in College Station.  As crazy as it sounds, by the end of the holidays most cadets are starting to miss the structure.  They (including myself) will never admit it, but we come to love and even need the regimented lifestyle.  Life's just kind of boring without it.

I gave the outfit a pretty big halftime speech last night at our meeting.  I challenged everyone to continue to pursue our goals and to be unsatisfied with what we have achieved.  Because we did well last semester.  Very well. One of, if not the best semester that A-Co has experienced since I have been here.  But we cannot grow complacent.  That is my greatest fear, that we would grow complacent at halftime.  Like I told the outfit, that is what happened last year in football.  Losing 7 games after winning at halftime is unacceptable, yet that is what happened.  Complacency is like a disease that weakens the body.  I refuse to allow that to happen within A-Co.

There was a quote in Sports Illustrated from a coach that says, "There is no continuum of success, history can't help us win."  This is what I tried to impart on the outfit last night.  One semester of greatness does not translate into two on its own. We have to continue to develop and work and relentlessly pursuit our goals.

Remember, what we accomplished yesterday has no bearing on what we achieve in the future.
GW

No comments:

Post a Comment